Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Basketball Question

I am passionate about basketball....although I am not great, I have very inconsistent streaks, hitting 3-5 NBA 3 pointers in a row and always delivering a heavy defense (I usually foul out).

I didnt start playing until I was 28 yrs old, at Fujistu when I was a process engineer. We used to play during lunch...it was great. When I was 30yrs old, I tore my ACL playing basketball.....and it all went downhill since....4 knee surgeries later (I am now 38, so ~ average 2 years apart)...my knee is strong...but my body is starting to feel old....longer recoveries...

Before Jacob was born, I had back surgery for a L5/S1 herniated disc...which after surgery...pain was gone, but I had a pinched nerve. This nerve is still prevalent, and epidural steroid injections havent really helped.....alas....surgery may be in the horizon.....it certainly hurts sometimes playing basketball when I extend myself.

Well, today, playing basketball, I rolled my ankle....it is swollen up and the top of my foot is in lots of pain. I was wearing cruddy running shoes/cross trainers...and the ankle just rolled. I was in so much pain at the time...havent been able to walk since. (9 hrs ago).

In reflection...I think I play football when playing basketball. I use my body and sprint to intercept balls ( like today when I hurt my foot). I think that at 38, I need to tone it down some. I need to get the right shoes and equipment when doing sports. Am I getting clumsy since I was 30?

So, basically in a nutshell...I need to stop playing basketball, and if I do play, I need the appropriate gear.

My wife isnt happy with me! She doesnt want to take care of two babies! Ha!

No comments: